CM,

The name of this protocol is misleading (VTP = VLAN Trunking Protocol) since
it doesn't really have anything to do with trunking. VTP is merely a way to
update the VLANs that a switch recognizes as valid on multiple switches by
updating a single "server". All of the rest of the switches in the VTP
domain get a copy of the list of valid VLANs from the server. What this
means is that when you add a new VLAN to the network you only have to define
it on the server. All of the rest of the switches get it automatically. If
you don't want to use VTP, then each VLAN needs to be configured manually on
each switch. This can easily lead to problems if you mistype.

A "VTP domain" is a bunch of switches on a network that will have the same
VLANs configured on them. If you have more than one group of switches and
each group has a different set of VLANs that it has to recognize, then you
use a seperate domain name for the second group. You also need to keep in
mind that VTP won't cross WAN links so portions of your network that span a
WAN link will automatically have different VTP domains on each end of the
link even if the domain name is configured identically on each end.

HTH,
        Karen