Thanks, Paul!

OK, I don't really think VTP is evil. I can definitely understand the
problem that it solves.

I have it working now. I have one switch set to client and one set to
server, which works fine. I didn't think I could use client on a Cat 1900
because the documentation says you can't configure client.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v9x/ee_scg/1vlans.htm#xtocid288056

> > vtp trunk pruning-disable 10 50
>
>I think the effect of this was to have only VLAN1 span both
>switches.

The effect is that Pruning of 10 and 50 are Disabled so that they DO span
the trunk. They should have been spanning it anyway, though.

>  Somehow, I am still wondering if you got a trunk
>established.

Yes I had a trunk. "Show trunk a" said it was on and using ISL.

Once the network was stable I was able to remove the command and all is
working, so now so I'm not sure it really was the problem. But, there was
something funny going on, that's for sure. I couldn't see multicasts with
my Sniffer on the monitor port either and now I can.

Regarding VLAN 1, I have one more question. If you give a switch an IP
address, that address is part of VLAN 1, right? The problem with that is
that you may not have any other ports that are part of VLAN 1, since VLAN 1
is the management VLAN generally. So how do you ping or SNMP the switch
then? What is considered "best practice" for this?

Thanks again. I walked into this thinking, "what could be so hard about
configuring data-link-layer devices?" Hah! Clark and Hamilton devote 900
pages to it! ;-) It took me a whole day to get two switches, VLANs, DISL,
VTP, trunking, STP, and load sharing working correctly. Give me a router
any day! ;-) Seriously, I think my problems all started with not using VTP
correctly from the start. Thanks for all the advice on it.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com