I'll assume that you are in a terminal server using reverse telnet to
connect to the various routers in the lab. The scenario has you connected to
router 1. You now want to return to the terminal server (but not close out
the session to router 1) so that you can connect to another router.
The normal procedure is to press the "control" and the "shift" and the "6"
all at once. Then release them and hit "x". That should bring you back to
the terminal server prompt. You could try hitting "enter" after that.
Does anyone remember certain terminal emulation programs acting strangely?
You could try another program. Tera Term comes to mind. It's free. Check the
archives for where to find it. Should be on www.tucows.com.