Ok, good scenario.

Assuming your network has grown to a point where type 5's are stressing the
AS, some scaling effort must take place.  There are a number of poorly
scaling cludges to this type of scenario outside of OSPF, but I've seen NSSA
areas used here with some success.  The net result is that your individual
areas have no awareness of the more specifics in other areas which isn't bad
assuming your aggregation strategy is clean as they can simply follow the
aggregates put out by the ASBRs.  Within the area, the type 7's provide
enough info for intra area routers to make informed decisions re paths out
toward the customer networks.  Your backbone will naturally see all external
info which shouldn't be an issue as a mid size ISP should have some good
routers therein.

The key point is again that type 5's are unmodified at area borders.  They
in fact flood untouched throughout the AS.  Hence, unlike normal summarizes,
5's aren't repackaged at each ABR before they hit other areas.  For that
reason, you cannot control their flooding scope once they hit the domain
without using area modifications like stubinness.   Interestingly,  due to
type 7's needing to be converted to 5's by ABR's, they are repackaged before
entering the backbone and thus can be summarized via area-range like
commands at ABR's.  Another reason why this is a viable solution to your
situation.

I'm also curious how you can do this with a Juniper?  Can you provide a
quick outline?

Thanks

Peter