I use both

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Priscilla Oppenheimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Sunday, July 22, 2001 6:37 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Cisco Press Vs Sybex Which Way Forward ===> [7:13243]

At 03:07 PM 7/22/01, hal9001 wrote:
>Howard
>
>In some of the advertising blurb I've seen they suggest that the same Cisco
>Press men/women/whatever have a hand in writing the questions in the pool.

Cisco Press authors do not have access to the test questions/answers. Where
did you see this advertising blurb? Can you give us a URL?

Cisco Press publishes many types of books. The ones that say "edited by"
are the course materials ported to book format. They are usually a very
good fit to the test.

The study guides are original work, (often by CCSIs), to help you pass the
test. Some of these are very good also.

Then there are other books that are not certification books at all.
Top-Down Network Design, for example, is not a certification book. For
historical reasons (people at Cisco turned my earlier work into DCN and
CCDA), it happens to be a good fit, which is nice, but not intentional.

Cisco Press is not part of Cisco, by the way. But they are in bed together.
Cisco makes money (a piddling amount, I would guess), on the classes that
are ported to book format. For the other books, the piddling royalties go
to the author. Cisco has the right to use the materials we wrote (I wish I
hadn't signed that contract!:-) I have been shocked to discover whole
paragraphs that I wrote in the Cisco Networking Academy materials for
example, with no recognition.

Regarding the actual question of Cisco Press versus Sybex: as others have
said, it's a matter of style. Cisco Press requires an academic, detailed
style. Humor is discouraged. Sybex is much more laid-back. If I were in a
hurry to learn something, I might go with Sybex. It's a lot less words to
wade through!? ;-)

Priscilla

>Whether it is spin or not the suggestion is that if you buy a Cisco Press
>book you buy part of the family jewels.
>
>I can't see Cisco missing a profit if they have a hand in the publishing.
>Surely Cisco Press is sanctioned by Cisco purely by reason of the name,
>could you see them doing a second best for their own publishers.  However
>the books are quite high brow  when compared to Sybex or Syngress.
>
>I suggest that if you have the cash that Syngress to Sybex, Sybex to Cisco
>is about right as it covers a gentle learning curve.  My tuppence worth.
>
>Karl

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com
attachments hereto.  Please advise immediately if you or your employer do
not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.  Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the
official business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by it.