Everyone has a different philosophy in developing study materials.
First, the Cisco Press versus Sybex.  As Priscilla pointed out, Cisco
Press does not like humor.  Indeed, one of the reasons I left
Macmillan as a publisher is that non-Cisco-Press Macmillan books were
taking on some of the Cisco Press editorial guidelines, such as not
using "foo" because some Cisco image-conscious executive decided it
was obscene and offensive.  Wiley encourages me to be funny.

Without false modesty, I am not the best judge of introductory books,
because I was introduced quite a while ago. I have consistently liked
the "little black books." I rarely read course-specific Cisco Press
books, but I do look at many technology books from them. But, I
really spend more time reading RFCs, Internet Drafts,
engineering/computer science journals and academic papers, and
IETF/NANOG/RIPE mailing lists than I do networking books.  The books
I do look at most often tend to be in theoretical computer science,
statistics, discrete mathematics, etc.  Obviously, I do read books
and book drafts on which I am a consultant reviewer.

I hope this isn't self-serving, but, as technical director of
Certification Zone, I'd like to clarify what may be a misconception.
True, we have simulated CCIE written tests. Many people have
commented that these tests are harder than the actual written.

I don't necessarily disagree with that statement, because the true
purpose of all the CertZone materials -- white papers, simulated
exams, and labs -- is to prepare people for the ultimate test, the
CCIE lab.  Having just finished the OSPF Part 2 questions that will
appear in August, I deliberately put in questions, with thorough
explanations, about things that I could see as weird lab scenarios
rather than strict protocol preparation.  Mike Cinquanti, the
publisher, is insistent that the explanations of the questions have
real content and educational value.  If you take the simulated exam
and just count your score, without stopping and evaluating your wrong
answers against the explanations, you are cheating yourself of value.

Other publishers may have a goal of simulating the written as closely
as possible, and there's nothing wrong with that.  It's simply that
we have a different philosophy.