I'm fairly certain that's a question I wrote.  When I'm writing
questions for the CCNA level, I always make a point of stating to
assume classfulness.  In this specific case, it really doesn't make a
difference, since you are explicitly given a mask.

Vendors that continue to teach classful methods, other than as an
appendix to binary/CIDR methods, do a serious disservice to their
students and the industry.  The Internet is absolutely NOT classful,
and it's a bad habit to get into to think in classful terms.

>Classful addressing doesn't mean that routers do not look at the subnet
>mask.  Au contraire!  Routers ALWAYS are concerned with subnet mask
>information!
>
>Classful addressing just means that a router that receives a routing update
>for a network for which it does not have a directly connected interface will
>assume the standard classful subnet mask.  In the case of a router that does
>have a directly connected interface that is using a subnet mask that is
>borrowing bits from the host portion of the mask, it applies that mask to
>the advertised network information.  Variable subnet masking (subnet masks
>of different lengths - /25, /26, /27 used in conjunction with the same
>network) is not supported.
>

>   -- Leigh Anne
>
>At 05:48 PM 7/24/01, Guy Russell wrote:
>>Actually I disagree...
>>
>>Routers using Classful addresses, do not look at the subnet mask, nor do
>>they transmit the subnet mask...

Not quite.  They look at the mask if it's on a local interface.
Otherwise, they do assume the "natural mask" on an incoming update
from routing protocols.