From: John Neiberger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 12:03 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: BGP prefix compiling [7:13828]

Exactly!  ;-)

Since a prefix must start with at least 172.16.0.0/16, it doesn't make
sense to use "ge 8".  The mask must be at least /16 to match
172.16.0.0/16, hence the error.

As you can see from the error, the ge value must be greater than the
mask you specify in the first portion of the statement.  In this case,
any ge value must be greater than 16.  Hmm...I just looked at my post
and it appears that the error message was truncated somehow.

It went on to say that len must be less than the ge-value, which must
be less than or equal to the le-value.  I won't paste in the exact error
since it will probably be truncated again.

Given that prerequisite, you'd have to restate your example like this:

ip prefix-list elvira permit 172.16.0.0/8 ge 9

However, I just tried this and it was changed to:

ip prefix-list elvira permit 172.0.0.0/8 ge 9

I suppose the logic of this is becoming quite strained, since it's not
apparent what we're trying to accomplish.    If the goal is to permit
172.16.0.0 and any subnet but *not* allow any other 172.0.0.0/8, then we
could do this:

ip prefix-list elvira permit 172.16.0.0/16 le 32
ip prefix-list elvira deny 172.0.0.0/8 le 32

It always helps to know what we're trying to do before we try to do it.
 :-)

Regards,
John

>>> Ole Drews Jensen  7/26/01 10:29:32 AM >>>
Okay, now you're confusing me John.

If we take "ip prefix-list elvira permit 172.16.0.0/16 le 32" wouldn't
that
permit /16 thru /32, whereas "ip prefix-list elvire permit
172.16.0.0/16 ge
8" would permit /8 thru /32?

But, I guess the error message you included was for the /16 ge 8, which
kind
of ends this discussion :-)

Thanks,

Ole