Just last week I saw a case where TCP port 179 was open to the remote
peer, but no other ports, including those above 1024.  This created a
situation where one side was initiating the session and the other side,
seeing the attempt to start a session, would promptly answer.  The
answer would be blocked and the session never came up.  Only when the
peer was cleared on the remote side and *that* side tried to initiate
the session would it come up correctly.

To alleviate the problem, I added a "permit ip
 established" to the access list.  This would allow the
remote side to successfully answer the local router's attempt to start a
session.

In a roundabout way, that is at least a little bit relevant to your
situation.

HTH,
John

>>> "W. Alan Robertson"  7/30/01 7:35:40 PM

John,

Not to the best of my knowledge...  The way I understand it, after
you've got each router configured, they will each periodically attempt
to bring up the session.  This session is like any other normal TCP
session.

The initiator uses an arbitrary port above 1024 to originate, and
attempts to connect to the other router on well-known port 179.  All
traffic will flow across this connection.

Alan