From:   Michael L. Williams [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Tuesday, July 31, 2001 8:49 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Doubt... [7:14233]

I'm totally speculating here........  Please let me wrong if this doesn't
jive.......  it seems to me that  the number of packets in the queue
(outgoing) wouldn't be anymore for 50% or 99% until there are more packets
attempting to go over the wire than is allowed.... (i.e. there won't be any
use for the queue except in passing as the packets are sent out as fast as
they are coming to the interface to be sent out).......

I read Jenny's post and I agree with her that utilization is = packets/some
amount of time......    and that things tend to get bursty, etc.....  so if
depends on if you're looking at a 1 sec avg. or a 1 minute avg. utilization
as to whether a ping at any given moment would actually go through as fast
as any other time.

Mike W.