If I understand what you're saying properly, you probably have a max-paths
problem.  EIGRP only handles a max of 6 paths very well.  Anything over that
and it starts getting pissy with you.

If you list out the EIGRP topology database, you will see that for every
route, you will have an entry for each one of your 12 VLAN interfaces.
Since all of these interfaces go to the same routers, they all pretty much
are saying the same thing about the routing table.  So your router is going
to show 12 equal cost paths to your destination.

When a route flaps, you're going to have a serious recalculation loop going
on since each route for each interface is going to need to get
recalculated.  Either way though, this should not be causing everything to
hang until you clear the eigrp neighbors.  Especially since once the
neighbors re-peer, it's going to have to do it all over again anyway.

Are you also seeing a lot of routes stuck in active?  Just curious...  I
wouldn't be surprised if you are.  When the router loops up like that, it
can miss updates and responses and will bitch to high heaven.

There are a couple of ways to fix this.  Honestly, I think for one you
should check CCO for any eigrp bugs in your version of code, and update to
the latest version.  I know that sounds like a TAC answer, but quite often,
it's true.   Secondly, you can set the value of max paths to something lower
- like 2 or 3.  That will make him toss out any of those other routes and
not calc them all the time.

No flames about VLAN1.  VLAN1 is highly mis-construed as being a "bad thing
(tm)" but that's just because Cisco trains everyone to say that.  The only
issue with it is that since VLAN1 exists out of the box, you can
"accidently" put traffic in the wrong place if you don't know what you're
doing.

Good luck.  Let me know if I guessed this one right.

Thanks

Mike