Performance gains are only a small part of the
picture... what is more important is enforcing a
proper hierarchical addressing scheme that conceals
routing instabilities from the network as a whole, and
lessens the amount of routing update traffic
propagated across the entire network.

  It's gotten to the point
> that Cisco-trained
> personnel treat summarization like the holy grail,
> and they go around trying
> to use summarization techniques wherever they can.

A network always benefits from the consistent
application of design goals.  Summarization scales
well because of the architecture which flows from a
properly addressed network.  I can't think of anyone
outside of an SP network concerned with global routing
table bloat that ever equates the benefits of
summarization in terms of increased routing table
lookup efficiency.  The benefit is that flapping
routes and their attendant update traffic are confined
to a small manageable area.  Not only does this
preserve bw but it greatly aids in network management
by narrowing the scope of the network that you need to
troubleshoot.

    So, when I weigh
> the cons of suboptimal routing as well as the
> possibility of
> misconfiguration, I find it difficult to see why the
> typical enterprise
> would ever really want to do summarization, as the
> gains are miniscule at
> best.

If the network architects can't properly summarize,
there are bound to be bigger problems than what that
particular misconfiguration will bring.  We are not
talking rocket science here, it is simple binary math.

Best regards,

Geoff Zinderdine
CCNP MCP2K CCA
MTS Communications