In my particular case, this is what worked for me:

Books: Jeff Doyle vol 1, Caslow, the Exam Cram CCIE prep book. I read
Perlman, but other than the first couple of chapters, I am of the opinion
there are better ways to spend one's time.

Papers: there are two token ring RIF papers available for free, one in on
the groupstudy web site. the other is at ccprep. both are excellent and
should be covered in depth.

Certification Zone - I bought a 6 month subscription and read as many of the
white papers as I could download. I took the monthly tests and reviewed them
thoroughly ( disclaimer - I occasionally am compensated for work at cert
zone )

I took a weeks vacation prior to my written, and spent my final days: half
with retaking the cert zone tests ( I bought the CD ) and reviewing. and the
other half cramming with the exam cram book. note that the OSPF chapter
sucks, the token ring chapter contains a few errors which you will recognize
if you studied the other papers, but there is a chapter on the config
register settings that is worth reviewing.

IMHO, the CCIE written exam I saw bears quite a resemblance to the CID exam.

best wishes

Chuck