From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Patrick Ramsey
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 11:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Restrictions on Protocol level in Cisco Pix Firewall
[7:15045]

Does cisco allow for packet filtering?

I know with 3com, I have done something similar to this at the router level.

Put a sniffer on the wire, grab the hex information for any command that you
want to block and filter based on that hex value.

be careful though, this method is not protocol specifc, and it only works
with clear text that always has the same hex value.  SO, with that being
said,
if you have multiple devices on the other side of the router that have
similar commands, or even two ftp servers, this will cause issues.

Of course, this also is totally dependent on cisco's abillity to filter on
payload, rather than network info.

-Patrick

>>> "Kent Hundley"  08/06/01 01:16PM >>>
The PIX has some limited ability to look at the application layer traffic,
but not much.  By default it will only allow certain SMTP commands, for
example, but you cannot select which commands, the feature is either on or
off.  You cannot block certain FTP or HTTP commands.  There are 3rd party
integration products for blocking certain HTTP urls, but none that I know of
for FTP.

HTH,
Kent