Cisco now prefer to implement MVPST. It allows a single spanning tree
instance to run for multiple VLAN. So you reduce the CPU charge caused by a
large number of VLAN created on your network but you still have a
"security" issue by having different ST instance running for each group of
VLAN. This runs of 802.1Q links only

Hope it helps

At 08:07 AM 8/8/2001 -0400, Picciani Francesco Saverio wrote:
>I would say that if, for any reason, some V-LAN have spanning tree problem,
>during the convergence time of the spanning tree algorithm related to that
>V-LAN, other V-LANs continue to work even if they share the same trunk.

VTP
> >reduces bandwidth usage on links and switches. It's VTP pruning that does
> >that.
> >
> >If you configure VTP pruning, then an added VTP message gets sent. The
> >added message includes VLAN membership information. With VTP pruning, the
> >switches become a bit smarter and do not forward traffic for a VLAN across
> >a link or to a switch that has no ports in that VLAN. This must be
> >configured. Without pruning, VTP just shares info about VLAN names and
IDs.