                From:   Ken [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
                Sent:   Wednesday, August 08, 2001 11:30 AM
                To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                Subject:        Why Should the Binary Math Method Be Used to
Subnet [7:15306]

                This is a study group so I have a question for which I need
some education.
                I am not looking for a flame war, just education. The
question I have is of
                what use is the binary math method of subnetting as compared
to just using a
                program that does subnetting? If the point to the exercise
is to produce a
                plan for subnetting that can then be entered into each
device on the network
                or into a DHCP server setup, what else is achieved by doing
this manually?
                It seems to me that the point is not the journey, but the
arrival at the
                destination. Indeed arrival as quickly as possible, with the
least source of
                error. As Cisco even says; "The purpose of this tool is to
provide a way to
                calculate IP subnetting which is fast, easy, and error free.
Doing such
                calculations manually is time consuming and susceptible to
common
                mathematical mistakes, especially in conversions between
binary and decimal
                numbers." So what is it I am not understanding?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]