Hi

Normally this refers to the number of subscribers per port, e.g. for dial-up
service, the ISP might have 24 dial-up ports and 120 users at 5:1 or 192 at
8:1. The idea being that not every subscriber will need a port at the same
time, i.e. busy signals during peak usage hours ;-)

I would not put a label on an ISP based on ratios. One really needs to
figure out how the user base is using the services sold. Some users will
stay connected all day, others are only on long enough to get email in the
morning and evening. Most ISPs will base their ratio on a business decision
rather a service level basis (ports are costly), which from a subscriber
point of view maybe the wrong choice. For some ISPs 5:1 maybe very over
subscribed making them a "bad" ISP, another ISP might have a 16:1 ratio that
is under-subscribed making them a excellent ISP.

HTH
--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE