Cisco research skills are as important as configuration and design skills
and almost as challenging. When you find something that someone else
couldn't find, please tell us how you did it. Page-by-page navigation
instructions are very helpful because they help us learn the structure of
the documentation.

Your Cisco career will die if you don't get good at finding stuff in the
documentation, and the only way to get good at this is to spend time with
it. Here's where I like to start:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/index.htm

Regarding the search engine, the best advice is not to depend on it too
much. It is not very effective. It's much better to know where to look in
the documentation. Also, take some time to learn the search engine's
caveats for those times when you really want to use it.

For example, the Cisco search engine automatically adds "and" between the
words you enter so it only returns those pages that include all of your
search terms. To restrict a search further, just include more terms.

The search engine does not support the logical "or" operator. It only
returns pages that contain all the terms.

You can search for phrases by adding quotation marks. Words enclosed in
double quotes ("like this") will appear together in all returned documents.

Searches are not case sensitive. All letters, regardless of how you type
them, will be understood as lower case. I discovered this the hard way. I
did a search on SAID. Big mistake. ;-) But then I changed it to SAID VLAN
and that was more effective.

There's more info on the search engine here:

http://www.cisco.com/public/extra_search_help.html

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com