From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 10:35 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Datalink connectivity issue... a very interesting [7:15960]

What does "show int ethernet" on Router 1 and "show int fa" on Area 1
Router  show? Lots of errors? You say you turned off full duplex. On the
routers or on the switches? You may want to hard code duplex on both ends
of the connection, (although sometimes that doesn't work either. ;-)

It seems like it could be an auto negotiation problem. Note that the
negotiation occurs between R1 and its switch port. A separate negotiation
occurs between Area 1 Router and its switch port. (Sorry if that's obvious,
but your wording made it sound like you thought those two separate
connections could affect each other.) A show int will help you determine if
there's a problem. You'll see lots of collisions, late collisions, FCS
errors, etc.

You say VLAN 1 configuration is OK. Question your assumption. ;-) Can you
do some testing without VLANs?

Other theories are going to just be guesses because we don't have enough
info, but check that the IP addresses and masks are really what you say
they are and that the addresses don't belong to some other devices
(duplicate IP addresses).

It's annoying when you get a complicated network like you describe working
and then some simple thing goes wrong, eh? Can you let us know what you
find out? Thanks.

Priscilla

At 08:26 PM 8/13/01, Albert Y. Pak wrote:
>Hi all,
>I got a weird issue today in my company lab. I set up 3 OSPF areas. Area 0
>consists of 4 routers (ABR). There are no backbone routers. And they are
>connected via Frame Relay translating over ATM in fully mesh configuration.
>I label router 1, 2, 3 and 4. Router 1 connected to Area 1 router, Router 2
>connected to Area 2 router, Router 3 connected to Area 3 router and Router
4
>connected to the internal office LAN. This set up was working fine last
>Friday. Every interface on those routers can ping each other. A workstation
>from the internal office LAN can ping all the lab routers interfaces.
>However, this morning, I lost Area 1.
>

>     area 2 router   area 3 router
>          |            |
>       Router 2-----Router 3
>            | \        / |
>            |  \      /  |
>            |    ATM     |
>          |  /      \  |
>          | /        \ |
>       Router 4-----Router 1
>          |            |
>      internal LAN    area 1 router
>
>On Router 1, I have 2 interfaces which are T1 and e0/0. On the T1
interface,
>I define 3 subinterfaces and are connecting to ATM, Router 4 and Router 3.
>The e0/0 has the IP 172.16.1.2/30. On area 1 router has faste0/0 and IP
>172.16.1.1/30. Both Ethernet ports on area 1 router and Router 1 are
>connected with Extreme Switch (Vlan 1).
>When I do sh int on Router 1 and area 1 router, line + protocol on both
>Ethernet interfaces are up. However, 172.16.1.2 can't ping
172.16.1.1!!?!?!?
>And 172.16.1.1 can't ping 172.16.1.2!?!? If those IPs are up, I assume
there
>is a connectivity on layer 2. I shutdown both interfaces and brought them
>up. It doesn't work. I thought may be because one Ethernet interface is a
>fast Ethernet and there is problem with duplexing. I turn off full duplex
on
>both interfaces and it still doesn't work. The Vlan 1 configuration is good
>on the Extreme Switch.
>So here is my $64,000 question. What went wrong?!
>Thanks,
>Albert

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com