Thanks for sharing this, John!  This in fact is how my shop has our servers
and branches set up.  I'm so used to it I never thought to bring it up in
this forum....it's good to have the perspective of others.

>>> "John Hardman"  08/10/01 06:58PM >>>
Hi All...

/--------snipped---------------------
When one confiures a router to route IPX one assigns a IPX network on the
serial (or whatever type of WAN interface). Most engineers assign some easy
to type/remember number without any concern other than it not being a
network on a LAN interface on the network. So now lets say for some reason
some Novell engineer set's up a Novell server to be a RIP router, and your
Cisco router hears the RIP and forwards it, and it just happens to be for
the wrong network. How do you now find the offending Novell server? Well it
is a royal pain to find! You end up having to use show ipx route and trying
to match up those serial IPX networks to the LAN interface(s) and one can
get lost in a hurry. Since so many networks that route IPX also route IP
over the same lines, even if you aren't running IP over the same line here
is a good reason to. So instead of using some random IPX network on the
serial interfce, use the HEX version of the serial IP. Now when you try to
track down that bad IPX route, a quick look at your handy IP map and a quick
HEX to decial conversion and you have the information. Granted this may not
be the end all for those that have a good mind for IPX network numbers, but
I think more in terms of IP than IPX, so it is much easier for me to relate
things to IP numbers than IPX HEX. Very cool way of doing things!

--
John Hardman CCNP MCSE