When using Digital certificates for authentication I am facing problems if
the vpn3000 internal user database is used for extended authentication.

If an internal user is created and if that user does not belong to the
VPNC_base_group then the extended authentication fails.
i.e. if a new group is created for remote dialup users ( e.g. ipsecgroup)
and the internal user (e.g. ipsecuser) is configured to belong to the
"ipsecgroup" group. Then the internal user authentication fails (if using
digital certificates).

If using preshared keys, and if the user is made part of the ipsecgroup then
the user does get authenticated.

In the "IPSec Parameters" we have a field named "IKE Peer identity
validation" for remote dialup users where we can force the concentrator to
validate the user based on the attributes in his public certificate. This
makes me believe that even if a user is made part of a particular group (
e.g. ipsecgroup) and if that user is using Digital certificates for session
authentication the whole thing should still work.

Any ideas? .............