16.htm#xtocid1566416

>From CCO:

You can specify a software-only interface called a loopback interface that
emulates an interface that is always up. A loopback interface is a virtual
interface that allows BGP and RSRB sessions to stay up even if the outbound
interface is down, and is supported on all platforms.

You can use the loopback interface as the termination address for BGP
sessions, for RSRB connections, or for establishing a Telnet session from
the communication server's console to its auxiliary port when all other
interfaces are down. In applications where other communication servers will
attempt to reach this loopback interface, you should configure a routing
protocol to distribute the subnet assigned to the loopback address.

Packets routed to the loopback interface are rerouted back to the box and
processed locally. IP packets routed out the loopback interface but not
destined to the loopback interface are dropped. This means the loopback
interface also serves as the Null 0 interface.

-- Kevin

> Would you please explain me in simple terms what is loopback interface?
> One of the techs from our ISP told me to config my router for loopback
> interface instead of multilink interface so that he would push the
> config to my router.  He also told me that multilink requires high CPU
> usage.  Would you please give me your opinion on this.
> Thanks
> Nondisclosure violations to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.siliconsamurai.net

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
   "Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/