You may want to take a peek at this link(watch wrap):

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/8540/rel_12
_0/w5_11_19/config/8500cnfg.htm#15915

Specifically, I direct your attention to the note listed on the
page which states:

 Note   BVIs do not support IP multicast routing.

As far as DVMRP is concerned, most Cisco routers interoperate
very well with DVMRP, since it came along before PIM however,
Cisco routers natively do not support DVMRP as the sole
multicast routing protocol.  According to this link here, DVMRP
tunneling is supported on the CSR:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/8540/cnfg_g
d/1cfg8540.htm

I have no idea how you would go about configuring it and
whether it could be tunneled over a BVI interface.

HTH,

Paul Werner

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 03:50:52 -0400
> From: "Rick Foster"
> Subject: multicast on 8540 BVI interfaces [7:16136]
>
> We have 8540 CSR sitting at the core of our network.
> Three 5500 switches connect to it via gig uplinks.
> We have three different IP subnets and all the three 5500's
have users
> from
> all these three subnets.
>
> Due to this we had to configure BVI on the 8540 and make the
interfaces
> connecting to each of these switches part of the bridge group
1
> (corresponding to the BVI interface 1).
> We have enabled ip routing on the bvi interfaces.
>
> The need is to enable multicast traffic to be forwarded on
these BVI
> interfaces so that multicast traffic orignating from one of
the 5500
> switches can be heard by the other two 5500 switches.
> I believe PIM cannot be configured on the BVI interfaces,
thus can
> anyone
> help in configuring DVMRP on the BVI interfaces so that
multicast
> traffic
> can be forwarded.
>
> If there is an alternative to DVMRP please suggest the same.
> Thanks in anticipation

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag