At 01:33 PM 8/15/01, Jim Dixon wrote:
>I wonder if what you suspect to be true, IS; that if you play with the
>arp cache timeouts a bit could you get a workaround?
>
>What do you think?

I didn't mean to imply that the temporary entries stay in the ARP cache for
the full (default) four hours. But they could fill up the cache long enough
to cause problems. Plus, in a lot of cases when Code Red is happening, the
entries aren't temporary. The TCP SYNs are going to stations behind the
router that do in fact respond to the ARP. So the entries stay in the ARP
cache the full time or they get bumped because the cache is full and
"thrashing" occurs.

I don't think reducing the ARP cache timeout would help since the cache is
full and thrashing is occurring, according to the original poster. ARP
thrashing is probably a symptom of a more serious problem that needs to be
isolated. It may be Code Red. Or, not. He mentioned a lot of hubs. Perhaps
the solution is to segment the network and add some router content (Layer-3
switching) to the design.

Please do not send messages to my e-mail. I will forward them anyway.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com