I work for an ISP and we are a big Cisco shop.  we
deploy PIX Firewall at our facility to protect our
company and customers.  About 3 months ago, we
deployed about 30 Cisco PIX 535 series that support
Gigabit Interface because our customers demand it.  We
run PIX IOS code 5.3 on the PIX firewall.  The problem
with the PIX is that even though Cisco claims that the
throughput is between 750 to 800 Mbps, the throughput
drops to 2Mbps (YES, 2Mbps on a Gigabit interface) if
the number of concurrent connections is more than
10,000 with an error tolerance of 0.1% (the industry
standard is 0.001%).  A lot of our customers are very
angry and threaten to terminate their contracts with
us.  We later find out that another independent lab
tested the Cisco PIX-535, see
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2001/0709tolly.html
for details.  Cisco said that there is a bug in the
software version 5.3 (See BUG ID CSCdt86736) and
claimed that the bug is fixed in version 6.0; however,
you wouldn't be able to find this bug in Cisco bug
watcher.  We did some preliminary testing with version
6.0 and the result is the same (i.e. the bug is still
there).

The point of the story is "ALWAYS TAKE CISCO
RECOMMENDATION AND CLAIMS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT."
Careful product evaluation.  Always keep your option
open with other vendors such as Checkpoint, Lucent,
Netscreen, etc...  Our stupid management listened to
Cisco rep. and overrode Engineering recommendation and
now as the company as a whole, we are paying a price.

Mike

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/