I was just browsing the certification section of the Cisco website and
noticed CCIP certification for the first time. I passed CCNA and am
currently studying for CCNP. What is the purpose of this new certification?
Also at what level is this certifcation. First off, you don't need a CCNA to
pursue it, so is it at  a lower level than CCNP? I really cannot see the
need for this new certification. It seems there is a lot of overlap with
CCNP as far as routing and remote access is concerned.   BUT I see it
focuses more on WAN and telecom than CCNP. Why don't they just require
additional electives to CCNP similiar to what Microsoft did with MCSE+I if
they want to promote competency in these areas?

I believe the more certifications a vendor offers, the more watered down and
less respected they appear. Already Cisco has CCNA, CCDA, CCDP, CCNP, CCIE
and now CCIP.(I probably missed a few they may have added while submitting
this post). Especially being that many times, the HR represenatives
reviewing resumes are not familiar with many of these certifications and
acronyms. I would rather not have to put all these crazy acronyms on my
resume (1 good cert from each vendor should be enough), it's getting
ridiculous.

Whats does everyone else think?