It's not dynamic.  I can't ship that router out with the same config to
anyplace in the world.  Using a default network, you can. It will come
up, peer, get it's routing table, and send it's default stuff towards
"home".

Let's say for instance that you have a large core network.  You want all
traffic that isn't in the routing table to not go to Null0, but you want
it to flow down to this core and let the core deal with it.  You may
want this for a number of reasons, most obviously if you default route
to the Internet, but also if you are running multiple routing protocols
and not redistributing between all of them.

You can then set a loopback on all the core routers on say
'192.168.200.0' network.  Then on all your routers you deply, you set
the ip default-network to 192.168.200.0.  Now no matter where you drop
that router, if it's got a routing table, and that table knows at least
one person that can get to 192.168.200.0, then you're set.  No more
configuration.

Let's also say that edge router has an isdn dial backup.  If your
primary goes down, and the other comes up, when the new routes flow in,
it will take the new interface with the new next hop to the core
automatically - no route changes.  The new routes will just get tagged
as default candidates and away it goes.

-me