The way I understand it and when I used it in our lab environment CAR works
good. You can rate-limit per IP, IP block, or all traffic as an aggregate.
DCAR is where the processing is distributed to the VIP. So I don't see how a
2600 could use that. Of course on an interface that use a VIP card, if you
go into the interface itself, you can tell it to use only cef and not dcef
by typing ip cef only. Car can rate-limit using access-list which the
rate-limit can references. You can also create a "access-list rate-limit".
CAR uses the token bucket scheme. There is one bucket for each list, unless
you use the continue option, then your flow may match several limits. You
can set the TOS bit or IP precendence with CAR as well. You can make it so
that the flow compared to one rate-limit then continues on to as many other
rate-limits as you would like. The key I think to CAR is to remember that
the rate-limit looks at the flows, but acts as an aggregate.