Setup both connections where they are working properly on their own.

then in each client, add a second default gateway.  This is a bit slower
process than a router with floating statics but it will work if you can
purchase any more hardware. (It's especially slower with M$ os's)  NT fails
over a little faster than 95/98 but a little faster than a snail isn't all
that good!

Another solution is to use an old 486 or so and throw linux on it, set it up
to ping out to the internet using different static routes to 2 known always
up routers.  When one ping fails say 10 times, the default gateway on the
linux box would change and you are still up to the internet.  (your hosts
would be configured to use the linux box as their def. gateway.)

-Patrick

ps. if you don't want to worry about hardware failing, go here and boot from
floppy.

http://www2.linuxrouter.org:81/

>>> "Austin Calvin"  08/23/01 02:33PM >>>
Hello All:
   Can someone help me?  I'm tring to put up a fail-over internet
connection.  Using a cisco 1720 with a adsl interface and an dlink gateway
router for cable.  Now what I'm tring to do is route though the Adsl
interface on the router for the internet, and if that interface go's down
have the cable modmem pick up the traffic.

It may sound crazy but it's a small company that needs internet up on a 24
hr basis.

Thanks for any Help