Teresa,

Well, that's more information than was previously disclosed:-)
That sheds a totally different light on the matter.

Maybe it might be possible to retrace the steps for all of
this.  First, was everything working okay at some time in the
past?  At what point did something change or go wrong?  What
are the exact problems(symptoms) that exist on both the router
and the switch?  Additionally, did somebody recently make an
equipment change, or change some part of the configuration?

It would probably help tremendously if you could post
a "sanitized" configuration of both the router and the switch.
Sanitized means that nothing identifying to your organization,
nor any passwords are remaining.  It may be just a simple
configuration error on one of these two devices.  I can think
of at least three different possibilities that would cause arp
failures between a router and a switch.  Additionally, just to
be sure, have you checked both the router and the switch for
speed and duplex settings on the port?  Autonegotiation does
not work in my humble opinion.  You may want to hard code these
values to the best your router will support, which is probably
10Mbps, half duplex.  Do the same on the switch port that the
router is in.  Also, make sure there are no "port security"
issues on the switch.  I have seen permanent mac table entries
and port security both cause a port to be isolated from all
other devices on a switch.

Keep in mind, it could ultimately be a hardware failure, but
investigating all other possibilities would narrow that down.
Hang in there and don't despair.

v/r,

Paul Werner

p.s.  If the configs are too long to post to the list, you may
want to put them on a URL (or I can)

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Teresa Presutto ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I've contacted the cisco TAC.
> The CE write " is this router connected to the switch on the
ethernet =
> side. If it is then can you verify if the switch has good
entries for =
> the mac addreses of the PC's. Also you can run "debug arp" on
the router
> =
> and you will see that the router is sending arp request but
never =
> getting any replies back"
>
> Regarding the WFQ, this is because I had problems last week
with the =
> same router and I opened another case, the CE suggested as
workaround =
> this queueing=20
> method and some route to null0...
>
> We are still investigating the problem, collision and
deferred  =
> counters have been increasing for all the night, when no
traffic should