Could you cut and paste the errors seen? More details?

Until you figure what the problem is, a possible workaround would be to add
an access
list to your tty connection, limiting access to your own subnet or even only
one IP
address:

router(config)#access-list 20 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
router(config)#access-list 30 deny any
router(config)#line vty 0 4
router(config-line)#access-class 20 in
router(config-line)#access-class 30 out
router(config-line)#password groupstudy
router(config-line)#login

Access list 20 allows only users on subnet 192.168.1.0 to telnet into the
router and
access list 30 keeps those who have sucessfully telnetted into your router
from using
the router to telnet out.