According to cisco doc's, the spanning tree tree algortihm specifies a
priority field which defaults to 32,768. When switches power up they assume
they are the bridge root and advertise this value in BPDU's across the
network to elect a root "bridge". Since they all have same priority by
default, the election is then decided by lowest MAC address of the tied
switches. As a matter of fact, cisco uses the lowest MAC address tie-breaker
in other algorithms as well. This seems simple enough to understand. I'd
like to know is when they manufatcure switches do they burn in a lower MAC
addresses in their core and distribution switched than in their access layer
switches. Otherwise, access layer switches might be elected as root bridges
during the election which would not be optimal.

Can anyone give some insight on this?

p.s. Excuse me for any grammar or punctuation errors, as I am a product of
N.J. Public Schools.....

Sam Sneed