>From Paul Werner

Actually, you and I are not as much in disagreement as it might seem at
first.
Unfortunately, the reality is that some RFCs don't track industry
practice.  I would say 1812 is the definitive document, but I would
also agree this is largely by reference rather than official
supercession.

At the London IETF a couple of weeks ago, some people (I'd have to
dig up names, but I think they are at USC/ISI, where the RFC Editor
function lives) said they are actively working on an update to the
host requirements document.  I didn't have a chance to ask whether
they are also thinking of an 1812 update so the pair of documents are
again more or less in sync.  I do plan to follow up on this.  The
discussion was in the PTOMAINE BOF, so it isn't even a WG yet that
could act as a home for these documents. I'd suspect they would be
directly overseen by the IESG.