Comments within and below.

> Actually, you and I are not as much in disagreement as it
might seem at
> first.
> Unfortunately, the reality is that some RFCs don't track
industry
> practice.  I would say 1812 is the definitive document, but I
would
> also agree this is largely by reference rather than official
> supercession.

We agree.

> At the London IETF a couple of weeks ago, some people (I'd
have to
> dig up names, but I think they are at USC/ISI, where the RFC
Editor
> function lives) said they are actively working on an update
to the
> host requirements document.  I didn't have a chance to ask
whether
> they are also thinking of an 1812 update so the pair of
documents are
> again more or less in sync.  I do plan to follow up on this.
The
> discussion was in the PTOMAINE BOF, so it isn't even a WG yet
that
> could act as a home for these documents. I'd suspect they
would be
> directly overseen by the IESG.

Maybe it's just my feeble impression, but it seems that a lot
of what was previously done at the ISI when John Postel was
there is languishing now.  RFC 1700 is a good example.  It was
semi-regularly updated (previous editions were 1340, 1060,
1010, 990, 960, etc.) and now it ot stalled in a 1994 edition
that is for all intents and purposes obsolete without
replacement.  I know what is posted on the web site.  It
indicates that the protocols and ports page is the current
practice for what was covered by RFC 1700, but that misses a
salient point.  RFCs were meant to be very portable.  They were
meant to be read by ASCII text readers of all flavors.  HTML,
while very good for many things, is probably not the best
medium of transport for RFCs.  That's just my silly opinion and
nothing else.

In the same vein.  Another person posted a request/comment
regarding ports and what is used for a particular application.
The issue is not one easily and readily resolved.  If you go to
RFC 1700, all ports are listed as registered for both TCP and
UDP.  I believe Jon Postel originally did it this way so as not
to constrain an application on a given port to use one
transport mechanism only.  Somebody could come along a few
years later and invent a better mousetrap and redesign a
protocol to use the other transport method (TACACS and TACACS+
come to mind in this regard).  Still, with a few notable
exceptions, most applications out there use either TCP or UDP
for the transport layer.  There should be a readily available
document, such as RFC 1700 or its successor, that clearly
distinguishes the transport layer in use for the application.
There should be a "*" placed by TCP or UDP registration to
signify the assigned protocol for use.  Placing a "*" next to
both, as in the case of DNS, would signify that both TCP and
UDP are used.  For those apps out there that are not readily
identifiable as to their preferred transport layer function,
then assign a value of "U" for unknown until somebody can step
up to the plate and say one way or another.  That would make
RFC 1700's successor document truly useful.

v/r,

Paul Werner

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more