To paraphrase Danny Vermin...

"I had that same problem once.  ONCE."

;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ole Drews Jensen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 9:19 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: True story about console port access problem [7:17860]

Let me tell you a little story this rainy Thursday morning in Texas.

I thought I had seen most problems with console port access - the flow
control that is set to hardware instead of none, the cable being wrong, etc.
But, I was wrong!

I was trying to get access to a 2924, but could only see output. It would
not react to anything I typed. I was using the standard Hyper Terminal that
comes with NT.

Okay, my first thought was that the PC I was using was just weird (which it
is btw), so I tried a different PC - same problem.

Then I tried another cable - same problem.

Then I tried another cable with another terminal adapter (rj45 to db9) -
same problem.

Then I tried another cisco device that I had telnet access to also - same
problem.

Then I telnettet into the cisco device to verify the 9600/N/8/1 - no
problem.

Then I tried a cisco device that I just pulled out of the box, so I was sure
that there was no restrictions or anything on it - same problem.

After an hour of playing around with cables, adapters, settings and all, I
happened to look at the keyboard, and I noticed that Scroll Lock was on. The
keyboard is connected to a keyboard/mouse/monitor switch where you get the
menu by clicking the scroll lock. After I turned scroll lock off, everything
worked just fine.

The reason for this e-mail is to save you guys out there time, and prevent
you from start throwing around with the equipment because of frustration.
Simply check the scroll lock, and you have found or ruled out one cause.

Hope you found this a good little lesson to add in your trouble shooting
book.

Have a great day,

Ole

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~