You won't see any problems with max age if you leave it at the default of
20 seconds.

The seven hops comes from conservative estimates of how long it takes a
bridge to take in the BPDU and propagate it. With 7 hops each could take
about 3 seconds. There's no way that switches these days take that long. In
fact, switches don't even bother to figure out how long it takes. They just
add 1 second.

I am currently dissecting STP! ;-)

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer