During the time from when I took my CCNA, 02/2000, and passed my first CCNP
test around 02/28/2001 and finished my CCNP on  06/27/2001.  I rarely had to
support routers at work.  If I had a issue that involved routers, I call the
group that oversaw the routers.  We worked the problem together put I never
was allowed to login to a router or used a console connection to the router.

Disclaimer:
I have three routers at home, but I mainly used them to verify command
usage, like which router mode was required for various commands.   I have
extremely little Catalyst experience.  I have had jobs in the past where I
did directly support routers.  Also, I test well.

Now to answer your question.  Yes, with the books, (CiscoPress and Sybex)
and study guides, (ExamCram and CramSession from Brainbuzz) that are
available and various companies that provide sample tests, (CiscoPress,
Boson).   A person of reasonable ability and intelligence could pass the
CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, and CCDP without ever seeing, touching, or otherwise using
ANY Cisco product whatsoever.  I also do not recommend this course of action
lessens the Cisco certification process.

My current job, I am the Network Manager.  Where I and my staff directly
support all the companies Internetwork equipment (Switches, Routers, Hubs)
plus servers and the company Firewall, and unfortunately DESKTOPS.

--

"Through Complexity there is Simplicity,
                               Through Simplicity there is Complexity"

David L. Blair - CCNP, CCNA, MCSE, CBE, A+, 3Wizard