From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 6:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I have a customer who... food for thought - static routes
[7:18182]

While some of my colleagues in the cable industry differ,
unconstrained bridging, which lets user hosts reach one another with
no filtering, is a disaster waiting to happen.

Consider the Cisco private VLAN feature to get some control.  It may
or may not fit the topology.

Also, I find the operators of such networks often forget Murphy's
Law.  The network per se may be OK for routine data transfer, but
what about infrastructure hosts such as DNS/DHCP, and ARP servers
when present?  I often hear a lot of hand-waving about how they are
fast machines, but I always pose one question, perhaps especially
relevant in California.

"Your serving area has an electrical blackout. All the power comes
back on at once.  All the hosts/routers will try to ARP and DHCP
simultaneously.  Have you considered the queueing behavior this may
cause?  Are you protected against broadcast storms?"