>One of the factors, for my customer in particular, but for all networks in
>general, is the manner in which the network is expected to be used. I can't
>name the name, of course, but my customer is a high tech company. It is true
>that many of the remote users will be management and support types, but many
>are developers and practitioners of the technology this company produces.
>There may be good reason for a team of software developers, for example, to
>test their applications across this network. there may be good reason for an
>engineer to set something up in his office lab, then work from home, free of
>the interruptions that his mere presence in the office can attract. Against
>this, the company must weigh the potential damage these folks can cause,
>intended or not.

But that's pretty much exactly what I do, although I get into the
corporate network via IPsec tunneling across arbitrary ISPs. When we
need a cooperative network, we route to it to keep it isolated.  The
argument your customer raises might apply to users in a specific
geographical area, but would be irrelevant to mobile users.

If the principle that it may be good for developers to have
cross-network applications, in today's market, isn't there an
advantage for being able to do so from arbitrary applications? For
example, the main project I work with has participants in Virginia,
Massachusetts, North Carolina, Canada, the UK, and Sweden.  Hint: we
aren't bridged.

Mixing test networks and production networks is rarely a good idea.