Hi gang,

Ok, this may sound like a stupid question, but as they say "the only stupid
question is the one not asked." So, here it goes.

What exactly is the function of the smartjack on local-loop circuits? I
mean, I understand their function but I am a little unclear on exactly how
they fit in the scope of things. If I have a CSU/DSU which connects to the
demarc (smartjack), then it is the smartjack's job to regenerate that signal
and send it to the CO, correct? They also have the capability of being
placed in loopback. So, is there a special inband signal which the telco can
send which is picked up by just the smartjack and not the customer's CSU/DSU
which raises/drops loopback? Is there a normal smartjack -like device on the
telco side as well, or does the leased line connect directly to a CSU/DSU?

Thanks,

James Willard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]