From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Michael L. Williams
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2001 4:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Don't think this is true ! Re: CCIE One-Day Lab layout
[7:18246]

(without trying to piss off people that have spent money on a 5000) I sure
hope they move the lab to the 6500 series.......   my 2 cents.

The 6500 can have 2 modes..... a Hybrid IOS, where the switch side of things
is run by the Cat OS and the MSFC is run by the IOS.   Under that setup, you
would use the SET commands to configure the switch and IOS commands to
configure the MSFC.  The other mode is Native IOS, in which the switch and
RSM are "combined" into a single router-esque unit.  In Native IOS, you use
IOS commands to configure the MSFC/switch, but there are little "CatOS-like"
extensions to the IOS command to let you configure ports as switchports
(instead of like router interfaces).

I've heard many people say that Cisco is really pushing to get away from
CatOS, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them use a 6500 running Native IOS
in the lab..... just a guess tho.

Mike W.