From: Leigh Anne Chisholm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2001 1:04 PM
To: Chuck Larrieu; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Multicasting - means what? [7:18232]

Heck no Chuck... I don't mind you bringing it up.  I think it's an
interesting discussion.  If you hadn't, and hadn't provided me with the
information for me to remember the correct answer, I would have posted it.
At any rate... with respect to your public and private emails to me:

When CGMP is enabled on a switch, the switch adds the MAC address
01-00-0C-DD-DD-DD to its "cam system" table.  By default, a switch only
listen to multicast addresses in show cam system. I'd expect to see the MAC
multicast address for Spanning Tree to be in there as well as you suggested
in the private email.

I believe that 01 is reserved for all multicast addresses.  It's just that
01-00-5E-00-00-00 through 01-00-5E-7F-FF-FF have been reserved for IP
multicast translation as you said in a private email to me.  I don't think
anyone's been playing "fast and loose" with this one.  Just you and I had a
blonde moment.

Don't know about the Token Ring address for sure... I've **GOT** to get
working on my current project because I'm **WAY** behind.  But if you read
it right to left, I see the first octet as 01...

  -- Leigh Anne