OK,

I've received a lot of request on how to build a PIX
firewall using old PC.  I am going to show everyone
how to do it; however, before I continue, you must
have the following hardware.  Otherwise, it will NOT
work.

1) a PC with at least 2 PCI slots and at least 1 ISA
slot;

2) 32 MB of EDO RAM,

3) Floppy drive.  Hard-drive is NOT necessary,

4) The Network Interface Card (NIC) must be Intel
EtherExpress Card (model 82557).  Other NICs will NOT
work,

5)  A flash card that will fit on an ISA slot of your
PC.  This flash card will load the software from the
Floppy drive onto the flash card.  This flash card
must be 16MB if you want to run PIX code 5.3.2.  If
you would like to run version 5.1.5 or lower, a 2MB
flash will do.  I don't know how much the flash card
cost.  You may get these flash card on Ebay or on some
auction site.

Once you have these things, I will send you
instructions on how to build a PIX firewalls.

Keep in mind that the PIX is very expensive.  However,
PIX is nothing but a PC (IMHO).  Instead of spending
3K for the PIX520, you can build your own pix for
under
$100.

Mike

http://im.yahoo.com