Good point!

When I looked in to it, I used a sniffer to work out what was happening, by
capturing one of the packets of a traceroute and used the traffic generator
to send the packet at different intervals.
I managed to work out that the cut-off time seemed to be around 500ms but
didn't know why at the time.

Eventually found a handy little page which described what was happening and
also included various other scenarios. Doesn't rear its head very well when
searching for traceroute, but found it while looking for icmp unreachable.
Taken me a while to sift through for it again tonight. Bookmarked it now -
it's quite handy.

Worth a look:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/traceroute.shtml#unreach

Regards,