Don't forget as well that the time over which the CIR usage is calculated
(I've forgotten the formal term and don't feel like searching for it right
now) is generally of the order of a second (at least in this part of the
world), while the load reported by the router is generally averaged over
five minutes.  If you have bursty traffic (routing updates, for example),
you may be going above CIR for some periods, even though your five-minute
average may be well under CIR.

More relevant for DE rather than FECN/BECN, but something to keep in mind.

JMcL
----- Forwarded by Jenny Mcleod/NSO/CSDA on 05/09/2001 09:48 am -----

                    "Karen
                    Young"               To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                  Subject:     Re: FECN/BECN below a CIR
[7:18444]
                    Sent
by:

nobody@groups

tudy.com

05/09/2001
                    05:42
am

Please
                    respond
                    "Karen

Young"

If you're getting FECN/BECN traffic then its experiencing congestion.
Congestion on the FR network prior to CIR being met is indeed a good sign
of
oversubscription. If its only occasional then it may simply have been a
spike on the switch. However, if you're getting it fairly regularly, then
you need to talk to your provider. There's NO reason to set FECN/BECN when
there isn't congestion.

Ask them how they determine subscription load. Some providers (such as
Sprint last I heard) use the CIR to determine load on a switch, not the
actual traffic. If they have alot of customers with 0 CIR then the switch
can easily get oversubscribed to the point that the provider can no longer
meet the CIR of their customers.

HTH,
           Karen