A VTP transparent device does not advertise its VLAN configuration and does
not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements.
However, VTP-transparent devices do forward received VTP advertisements to
other devices.

I can imagine a situation where a router with VLANs implemented is sitting
in the middle of a Layer 2 topology and you want the router to be in VTP
transparent mode so that it passes VTP advertisements onto switches on the
other side of it. It doesn't seem like a very good design, but it could
happen.

Priscilla

At 10:19 AM 9/5/01, Guest wrote:
>I believe it means that the router will not listen to the vtp messages.  It
>will also not pass them along- it is strictly layer 2.
>pass them along,you mean just transfer it ,right?but i don't know where it
>go,see my
>last message,i dont
>know which vlan can carry vtp,or like cdp-a purely layer 2 protocol,
>does vtp indepent of vlan,it runs on native vlan??
>i dont find ways to prove it.
>anyway ,thanks a lot

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com