I'm with Priscilla 110% on this one.  Although a lot of folks
want to get real scientific on terminology, I try to stick to
the basics.  In terms of Internet speak on TCP/IP, my ultimate
reference is TCP/IP Illustrated by the late W. Richard
Stevens.  He says on page 9, "The unit of data that TCP sends
to IP is called a TCP segment.  The unit of data that IP sends
to the network interface is called an IP datagram.  The stream
of bits that flows across the Ethernet is called a frame...We
could draw a nearly identical picture for UDP data.  The only
changes are that the unit of information that UDP passes to IP
is called a UDP datagram"

That says it all.

I don't know if it helps any, but the original IP RFC (760)
defines a TCP protocol data unit as a "segment".  In a related
note, the original RFC for TCP quotes no less than 200+
instances of referencing TCP as "segments".  Also, the original
RFC specification for UDP (768) makes reference to datagrams
only.  There is no mention of segments.  On a semi-related
note, Cisco maintains an Internetworking terms and glossary
section on CCO.  They have correctly stated, "segment -3. Term
used in the TCP specification to describe a single transport
layer unit of information."

Unfortunately in several instances of Cisco courseware they
have erroneously referred to a segment as both TCP and UDP,
which in my humble opinion is wrong.  Of course, one must ever
be mindful of the old axiom:  There's the right way, the wrong
way, and the Cisco way :-)

HTH,

Paul Werner

p.s.  To  add to your well researched list below, oddly Novell
refers to SPXII as "messages". IPX is of course referenced as
datagrams.

> I have been excluded once again from the list, but this may
get through
> at
> some point.
>
> I checked Banyan VINES and it doesn't use the term segment
for the Inter

> Process Communications (IPC) protocol which provides both
datagram and
> reliable message delivery service. VINES doesn't use segment
for the
> Sequenced Packet Protocol (SPP) either, which provides a
reliable
> virtual
> connection service. See:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/vines.h
tm

> AppleTalk Transaction Protocol (ATP) doesn't use the
term "segment."
> Neither does the AppleTalk Datastream Protocol (ADSP). They
are both
> connection-oriented transport-layer protocols.
>
> NetWare Core Protocol (NCP) doesn't use "segment." Neither
does NetWare
> Sequenced Packet Exchange (SPX).
>
> Some descriptions of the DECnet Network Services Protocol
(NSP) use
> "segment." Most descriptions of NSP do not use the term. See

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/decnet.
htm

> A quick look at Tannenbaum, who does a nice job with generic
but
> technical
> descriptions of the layers in his quintessential "Computer
Networks,"
> found
> no use of the word segment. He uses the OSI term Transport
Protocol Data

> Unit (TPDU) and the term "message."
>
> Which reminds me, OSI does not use the term segment. It's
mostly just
> TCP
> and it is an unfortunate word to use because segment has many
other
> meanings, such as LAN segment, a segment of memory, etc.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag