That's kind of the problem Symon.  The problem is that network 10 exists on
both sides of the serial connection.

  10.0.1.1      172.16.1.1   172.16.1.2    10.0.2.1
            E0    S0               S0    E0
               R1                     R2
   ----------      -------------------      ----------
   Network 10          Network 172          Network 10
    Ethernet             Serial              Ethernet

What you have is a discontiguous network with Network 10.  You can't have
that with a classful routing protocol.  That's basic CCNA-level network
theory.  If your instructor was unable to understand why you couldn't ping
the interfaces properly, I'd have strong reservations about their overall
ability to teach an advanced networking course.

If you're at R1, you're unable to ping R2's Ethernet interface because
network 10 is directly connected.  It sends the ping out the E0 interface
rather than routing it across the serial connection to R2.  If you're at R2,
you're unable to ping R1's Ethernet interface because network 10 is directly