At 10:20 AM 9/6/01, Phil Barker wrote:
>I thought that would grab your attention Priscilla
>hehehe.

It did! ;-)

With some implementations, the TCP connection is open until one side does a
FIN or RST. How quickly that happens would depend on the TCP
implementation. Some implementations timeout without waiting for a FIN or
RST. Some implementations send "keepalives" and timeout if they don't get a
response. A keepalive is usually just a resending of the last sequence
number.

Hopefully your server just silently times out at some point.

Sorry, I can't be more specific!

Priscilla

>I need to grant Terminal Service Access from anyone
>(internet) to a well known TCP port of a destination
>IP Server address x.x.x.x
>
>This is implemented as a permit on the PIX F/W.
>
>My problem is that I can telnet that well known port
>and the Server generates an Error Message "Error :
>Must Authenticate first."
>
>Obviously, I am open to a denial of service attack.
>
>I am attempting to rectify the Server Message issue by
>displaying a blank screen for this instance.
>
>However, my real question is : When I telnet the well
>known port, I can see the 3-WAY-HANDSHAKE with my
>Sniffer. How long will the connection be established
>for ? My gut feeling is that this will be vendor
>dependant as either side can Reset or Tear down the
>TCP connection, but a rough idea would do.
>
>Phil.

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com