Tony
All good points in your post. As you wrote NOBODY knows anything and if you
continue to believe that after geting your CCIE there is great future for
you because you will never cease to learn and to develop both personally and
profesionally.
I am currently studying for CIT and IMHO it is really importand to
understand OSI layers because you can learn to troubleshoot bottom up (from
physical to data link to network and so on) and I believe that Cisco certs
are much more vendor-neutral compared to other certs. If you dont just cram
for tests and try to study in a broader perspective there is a lot to learn.
A lot of people talk about paper certs but the least likely to be paper
certs are CCIE and Red Hat because they have a lab section and that cannot
be passed by  cramming only without having hands-on experience (maybe lab
not real world but this is certainly better than none at all). I am glad
that at least something good came out of this long thread. I dont mean to
insult anyone but please ignore stupid journalists that dont know what it
takes to become a CCIE. Tony and other CCIE's in this list and the ones I
had the priviledge to work with demonstrate that being an expert while
remaining humble is the true sign of a wise person.

George Yiannibas
MCSE CCNA

""Tony Medeiros""  wrote in message
> I have to agree with many, if not all the points raised by everybody.
> My humble take is that there are  4 types of knowledge a great, capable of
> hands on, design, etc. network engineer should have in the perfect world.
> CCIE or not.  Bear in mind that I am talking about a network engineer that
> basically works with the equipment and maintains and designs networks.
> Other types of network engineers that design hardware, software, and
> protocols will come under a way different set of rules I would think.
>
> 1. Basic network and protocol knowledge:
> This should be how all layer 2, 3, 4 and many layer 7 protocols work
> including the management plane protocols, routing protocols, STP, etc.
Not
> necessarily what all the frame/packet/segment structures look like and
where
> and what each field in the PDU is and does. But enough PDU structure to
know
> what the engineer is looking at and understand how they work.  Although
this
> is all excellent knowledge to have, I think it's improbable (at least for
> me) to know all the PDU structures in detail.  The main thing is to know
the
> behaviors (especially TCP) and how things can go right or wrong.  Some
layer
> 1 stuff is good to know too!! Like what does it mean when I have slips on
my
> T1 interface or how a DS-3 works. Other things are cabling issues, what
box
> does what, where do I use a certain box (bridge vs.router, etc.), design
> best practices, security issues and techniques.  Also host behavior and
> configuration knowledge is invaluable.  I'm sure I left out a bunch of
> stuff, but that is what I see as important(in my limited experience) to
know

> Most, if not all of number 1 can be learned by reading books, RFC's white
> papers, etc.  Hands on experience will certainly help.
>
> 2.  Platform specific configuration:
> It's great to know all the above stuff, but If I can't make it happen on
> whatever I am configuring be it Cisco, Foundry, Extreme, or whatever.  I
am
> of little use as a hands on engineer.  It's nice to know how EIGRP
installs
> a feasible successor,  But if I can't get my routes to propagate correctly
> because I left out "no auto summary", that knowledge doesn't serve me like
> it should.  OT.  Why Cisco doesn't remove ALL classfull behavior from that
> damn protocol is beyond me!!  Again, I believe it's improbable to know how
> to configure everything on even one vender or platform.  But, the engineer
> should know when to punt and ask for help.  Or know how to access and find
> the information he/she requires.  And I don't just mean calling TAC :)
Even